Department of Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies
Graduate Program- Prerequisite Courses
This information is for students who DO NOT have a bachelor's degree in speech-language pathology or deaf education and wish to pursue a master's degree in those fields.
If you do not have an undergraduate degree in Deaf Education, email CDDSGRAD@LISTSERV.CSUFRESNO.EDU about our Online Prerequisite Modules.
Generally, a bachelor's degree in speech pathology is required to apply to our graduate program. For students with a bachelor's degree outside of speech pathology, a variety of universities have prerequisite "bridge" programs so you can take the undergraduate prerequisites. Currently, Fresno State does not have a formal "bridge" program. However, there are a variety of online prerequisite programs, with new ones appearing. The list below is not a complete list of these programs and is not an endorsement of them. However, their graduate program, like ours, is accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Therefore, they would be worth considering.
California State University Northridge
California State University, San Diego “SLP Essentials”
Utah State University
Idaho State University
Sacred Heart University
University of Colorado at Boulder
University of Florida
University of Nebraska, Kearney
University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire
University of Southern Mississippi
Western Kentucky University
Eastern New Mexico University
It is strongly recommended that applicants have a minimum of 30 units of prerequisite courses for consideration for full classified admission. The prerequisite program should include courses that cover the following topics:
- Normal development and processes: speech and language development, anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing, neurology of speech and hearing, phonetics, speech and hearing sciences
- Disordered processes and development: speech sound disorders, language disorders, voice and fluency disorders
- Assessment procedures / Diagnostics
- Treatment methods
- Link to SLP Prerequisite Tracking Form
- In addition, ASHA requires a course in Physics or Chemistry, and 25 hours of documented clinical observation. These hours can be a combination of audiology and speech-language pathology, and must be signed off by an SLP or Audiologist who is ASHA Certified. Click here for observation hours log form.
- Finally, the University requires that all students pass a statistics class.
Department web site: http://fresnostate.edu/chhs/csds/
Division of Graduate Studies: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/gradstudies/
There is also helpful information from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Fran Pomaville, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, Graduate Coordinator, email@example.com