College of Health and Human Services
Frequently Asked Questions
Please continue to check back here, as our FAQs will be continually updated.
Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.
Save Mart Center at Fresno State (2650 E. Shaw Ave., Fresno, CA 93710)
All of our bachelor's, master's and doctoral candidates, from each of our seven academic departments, will be recognized.
- Undergraduate Degree filing deadline is February 14, 2020.
- Graduate Degree filing deadline is January 31, 2020.
Application and additional information can be found HERE.
In addition to meeting the above requirements, students must complete the CHHS Convocation Registration Form HERE by the deadline date of April 3, 2020.
The Commencement Task Force has formed a Hooding Subcommittee, comprised of faculty and master's students, to explore the possibility of this. Details are still being determined at the moment.
Yes. If a department or student groups wish to hold other student-led celebrations for their graduating students, we ask that these celebrations be called one of the following:
- Special Recognition Ceremony. Examples include Doctoral Recognition Ceremony, Master's Recognition Ceremony, etc.
- Student Achievement Ceremony and Awards
- Academic Rite of Passage Ceremony or Celebration
- Other name approved by department chair and dean in consultation with students
The individual departments will decide on the programmatic details of their special recognition ceremony (i.e. pinning, etc).
No, but a full video of the entire ceremony will be available on the CHHS Youtube channel the week after.
Contact the Dean's Office at 559.278.4004.
All students participating in the College of Health and Human Services Commencement are required to wear the University-approved academic regalia (cap and gown), which must be purchased/rented in advance of the ceremony from Kennel Bookstore.
For more information on that, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/commencement/faq.html
The college will not have stoles to purchase, but each participating graduate will receive a commemorative gift.
Please contact your department office regarding the possibility of stoles within your department and/or major.
Contact your specific honors office/department for additional information.
To be eligible, undergraduate students must meet the following requirements:
- Must be registered as a matriculated, undergraduate student in the College of Health and Human Services at Fresno State for the current Spring 2020 semester or have already graduated during Summer or Fall 2019. Students registered only through Open University or Extended Education do not qualify.
- Student must have a declared major in the College of Health and Human Services. Any "pre" majors do not qualify (e.g. pre-nursing). Student must currently have a minimum of 100 units earned. In-progress units do not count towards this 100-unit requirement.
- Student must currently have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better
- For exceptions, seek consultation with department chair.
To be eligible, graduate students must meet the following requirements, as described on the Division of Research and Graduate Studies website:
- Have an approved "Petition of Advancement to Candidacy" on file in the Division of Graduate Studies office.
- Attain a minimum 3.0 GPA in the program
- Receive approval from their graduate program coordinator prior to completing the online application.
- NOTE: Graduate students who will be applying to graduate in the summer or fall of 2019 are eligible to participate in the CHHS Convocation.
See seating chart below under 'Day of Commencement Information'
Since the commencement will be held in the Save Mart Center, this allows for a larger capacity of guests. NO tickets are required for entry and there is NO limit to the amount of guests you have.
We are exploring options for a college-wide reception immediately following the ceremony. More info will be determined at a later date.
- Parking is free. Guests can park anywhere in the Save Mart Center parking lots. It is is recommended guest arrive early and carpool if possible.
- Disabled parking is available in Lot 5, P1, P5, and P6. (view map)
- Parking in Campus Pointe is prohibited.
See seating chart below under 'Day of Commencement Information'
DAY OF COMMENCEMENT INFORMATION
|9:15 - 9:30 a.m.||Graduate arrival and line up||
|9:50 a.m.||Processional begins||
|11:45 a.m.||University Reception||
INFO TO COME.
- Professional photographers from GradImages will be taking pictures of each graduate as they cross the stage and then again after they exit the stage. GradImages will use the email address that you provide on your name card to send you complimentary proofs.
- Graduates are encouraged to share their grad experience with us on social media. Tag us at @FresnoStateCHHS or #FresnoStateCHHS or Instagram, Twitter and Facebook or tag Fresno State at #FresnoStateGrad
- Graduates, guest, staff and volunteers should allow extra time for security and inspection upon entrance into the Save Mart Center. Patrons are subject to security and other restrictions as deemed necessary and as required by the event.
- Save Mart Center reserves the right to refuse admittance to anyone who refuses to allow inspection of their persons and any purse, bag, or package carried with them when entering the facility.
- The Save Mart Center prohibits backpacks and bags larger than 12"x6"x12"
- Diaper bags are permitted and will be inspected.
- Items not permitted into Save Mart Center can be found at the LINK.
- Signage that will obstruct the view of other ceremony guests may be subject to removal by venue management.
- Balloons and strollers are not allowed in the Save Mart Center
Commencement and graduation ceremonies at Fresno State symbolize the culmination of many years of hard work. It is a time for you, your family and friends to recognize and celebrate your success!
We ask for your help in making these ceremonies a positive experience for everyone. Misconduct by even a few would be disturbing to the graduates, faculty, and guests who expect and deserve a safe, orderly, and dignified ceremony.
All Fresno State Commencement and graduation ceremonies are alcohol, drug, smoke, vapor and tobacco-free events and a zero-tolerance for disorderly behavior will be strictly enforced. Graduates and guests will not be permitted to carry alcoholic beverages into ceremony sites or consume them there.
Graduates and guests who are intoxicated or disruptive will not be allowed in the ceremony venue or will be escorted from the ceremony.