School of Nursing
RN to BSN Program
The Associate Degree Registered Nurse to Bachelors of Science in Nursing Program (RN to BSN) builds upon the sound foundation of nursing education achieved in the Associate's degree program. It is designed for Associate Degree Nurses (ADNs) with a registered nursing license to complete upper division nursing courses that fulfill the BSN degree without repeating lower division nursing coursework.
Upper division nursing coursework expands upon leadership skills, management principles, and introduces research via evidence-based practice methodologies. In addition, population-focused community health nursing curriculum is explored. The BSN degree offers nurses a wider variety of potential jobs. A baccalaureate degree in nursing prepares RNs for entry into MSN or School Nurse Credential programs. It also broadens the opportunities for management positions.
BSN graduates are also eligible to apply for a California Public Health Nursing Certificate that permits them to work in community health settings. The current curriculum consists of six (6) RN-BSN specific courses. Nursing courses are offered online, except for one 90-hour clinical course in community health nursing. Placements for this course are only available within the Fresno State service area.
Associate Degree RN graduates with a bachelor's degree in another area may enter as second-degree students. In order to meet minimum degree requirements, co-requisite courses (or 9 units) must be taken in addition to the RN to BSN coursework.
For more specific program information please refer to the Baccalaureate Student Handbook.
Nursing Major (RN to BSN) Application will be available for both the Fall and Spring semesters. Please review the requirements carefully. There is a fee for the University Application and the Supplemental Nursing Application, and if you do not meet the minimum requirements your application will not be reviewed. Applications that do not satisfy the minimum requirements will not be processed.
Due to COVID-19 and the changes to instruction and grading at Fresno State the School of Nursing has made the following decisions for Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 semesters in relation to Nursing admissions policies.
1. Credit/No Credit grading will be allowed for all Pre-Requisite courses taken in the Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 semesters.
Admissions and Application Information
All Pre-Requisites courses must be completed the semester before application to the program.
Applying to the RN to BSN program is a two-step process:
Current Fresno State Student
Prospective Fresno State Student
*See Supplemental Application Information below.
Two applications are required:
The application for the Nursing Major RN to BSN includes all the following:
- Demographic Information
- Complete list of all Colleges attended (required)
- Prerequisite Coursework information (required)
- Transcripts: Unofficial copy of transcripts (all colleges) (required)
RN to BSN Minimum Admission Requirements:
- Admission to the University
- Active CA Registered Nurse License (By the end of the first semester in program)
- Graduated from a Board approved/accredited nursing program
- A cumulative GPA from all courses taken of at least a 2.75
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a “C” grade or better
- Supplemental application is accessed via NursingCAS (www.nursingcas.org)
- NursingCAS Instructions: NCAS Guide
- Application fee is $50
Fall Admission Cycle
(February 1 -March 3)
Spring Admission Cycle
(July 1- August 4)
Open to ALL eligible applicants.(Transfer, 2nd Baccalaureate, Continuing Fresno State students, Returning Students)
Open to ALL eligible applicants.(Transfer, 2nd Baccalaureate, Continuing Fresno State students)
*NOTE: NursingCAS application deadline is before 8:59pm PST (11:59PM EST).
All students applying as a 2nd-Baccalaureate Nursing student must do the following:
1. Apply to the University through Cal State Apply
Application filing period:
Fall: Oct. 1 - Jan 30
Spring: Aug. 1 - Aug. 31
2. Apply to the School of Nursing Supplemental Application through NursingCAS
Application filing period: See Supplemental Applicaion Information for fall and spring admissions cycle
*Note: Admissions to the University is dependent upon admissions to the School of Nursing's Bachelors of Nursing.
- Meet minimum eligibility.
- Provide DD214 with an honorable discharge.
- May have two Pre-Requisites in Progress at time of application
No prerequisite courses taken at an international institution are accepted to fulfill the nursing admissions prerequisites. Equivalent prerequisite course and nursing additional requirements must be taken and/or repeated at domestic institution in the U.S
The curriculum is designed to emphasize theory-based practice in nursing and provide the foundation for graduate study in nursing. Advanced placement students are required to meet the same requirements for the baccalaureate degree as generic students.
- English Composition / Written Communication (3 units) - English 5B or 10
- Speech / Oral Communication (3 units) - Comm 3, 7 or 8
- Critical Thinking (3 units) - Soc 3 recommended
- Statistics (3 units) - Math 11 or PH 92
- General Chemistry with Lab (4 units) - Chem 3A
- Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 with Lab (4 units)* - Biol 67A
- Human Anatomy and Physiology 2 with Lab (4 units)* - Biol 67B
- Microbiology with Lab (4 units) - Biol 20
* As of Fall 2016, Human Anatomy and Physiology courses at Fresno State have transitioned to a 2-semester integrated course system (BIOL 67A and BIOL 67B); individual courses taught at community college will still be accepted.
Pre-requisite Course Policy:
- Each prerequisite must be completed with a minimum 'C' grade
- CR/NC grades are NOT accepted (excluding Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
- Repeated course prerequisites within the eight prerequisite courses is accepted.
- Science classes (Chemistry, Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology 1&2) in Fully Online, Hybrid and In person formats will be accepted for Admission purposes.
- Ethics (3 units) - Phil 20 or 120
- Critical Thinking of Society (3 units) - Soc 3
- Psychology (3 units) - Pysch 10
- Statistics (3 units) - Math 11 or PH 92
* If Soc 3 is not taken, then Soc 1 or Anth 2 must be completed.
- NURS 135 (3 units) - Professional Transitions
- NURS 136 (3 units) - Health Appraisel
- NURS 145 (3 units) - Nursing Theories & Research
- NURS 152 (3 units) - Advanced Leadership, Management, and Healthcare Systems
- NURS 156 (3 units) - Nursing Informatics
- NURS 141 (3 units) - Concepts of Community Health Nursing
- NURS 141LS (2 units) Practicum: Concepts of Community Health Nursing
- NURS 151 (1 unit) - Community Service Project
|Executive Order 1084 (California State University) Credit for Demonstration of Prior Learning of Pre-Licensure Nursing Content||Required units to graduate with a BSN major from Fresno State (not counting GE)|
|As the California Board of Registered Nursing requires 36 units of the art and science of nursing in pre-licensure programs in preparation for the standardized external National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX), in accordance with the stipulations of this policy a CSU campus may award academic credits using the NCLEX examination to demonstrate prior learning of the pre-licensure art and science of nursing required by the Board of Registered Nursing (Title 5 section 40408). Therefore, per Executive Order 1084, 20 units of credit toward the BSN will be applied toward the RN to BSN degree after successful completion of NURS 135.||
Compliance with required GE specific coursework is individually specific. More information on required GE can be found at University Advising Center under General Education. Listed below is specific to the RN to BSN program only. A total of 121 units are required to graduate with the BSN degree. Forty-one (41) units are the nursing major requirements. For specific GE requirements counseling from the CHHS Advising and Career Development Center is required. To check equivalent prerequisite, co-requisite, and GE courses at your community college, go to www.assist.org.
Nursing Curriculum (major) coursework (41 total units):
- California State University, Fresno catalog
- Cal State Apply Transfer Information (application process, deadlines, costs, etc.)
- Fresno State Nursing Undergraduate Handbook
- Community College Roadmaps:
RN to BSN Admissons:
CHHS Advising and Career Development Center
RN to BSN Admissions Coordinator:
McLane Hall 194