School of Nursing
School Nurse Credential
The California State University, Fresno (postbaccalaureate) School Nurse Services Credential (SNSC) program provides basic preparation for the comprehensive roles in school nursing and leads to the professional (clear) credential approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
Since this is an online program, candidates must be computer literate and have internet access. Prerequisites include courses in Nursing Research and Audiology, a 3-unit Community Health course or a Public Health Nurse certificate.
The SNSC program of study consists of 18 units or 21 units if Audiology is needed. Pre-requisite courses are offered either through Fresno State or through other accredited universities with the approval of the Program Coordinators.
SNSC Program courses are offered through Fresno State’s Division of Continuing and Global Education (http://www.fresnostate.edu/cge/). The 12-month program begins with the Summer session and continues through the following Spring semester. Prior to the start of the program candidates will attend a mandatory Orientation in June. All courses are currently online.
Applications for admission are accepted October 1 through December 1 each year. There is no application fee and individuals are not required to apply to the University. Candidates are responsible for ensuring that all required documents are submitted with the application in one packet or the application will not be accepted.
Completion of an application and prerequisites are required before being considered for admission. The applicant is responsible for submitting sealed official transcripts from all baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate universities. The transcripts should reflect a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing from a CCNE or NLN accredited school with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in the last 60 units and a 3.0 in nursing. (*See exception below for associate RN degree.)
In addition to official transcripts, please submit the following documents as one packet:
1. Signed School Nurse Services Credential Program Application.
2. Submit two Applicant Recommendation Forms from an administrator and/or supervisor. (Administrator/supervisor may send directly to the coordinator.)
3. Write a one-page double-spaced essay using APA guidelines stating rationale for pursuing a School Nurse Services Credential. Sign and date the essay.
4. Copy of current California Registered Nurse License.
5. California Public Health Nurse Certificate or official transcripts of an approved 3-unit community health nursing course. For a PHN certificate application visit: http://www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/applicants/phn-app.pdf.
6. School Audiometrist Certificate. For information visit: https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/hcp/Documents/dhcs101.pdf
7. If currently employed as a school nurse, submit a California Preliminary School Nurse Services Credential. This may be obtained through your County Office of Education or employer.
8. Transcripts. Foreign degree candidates: foreign degree baccalaureate degrees must be evaluated by a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing approved agency prior to applying. For a list of agencies visit: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf
*An associate degree registered nurse with a baccalaureate degree in another field of study may apply as long as the prerequisites are completed.
The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing only accepts coursework completed at regionally accredited institutions. For a list of acceptable regional accrediting bodies visit http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/accreditation-bodies.html
If candidates have questions regarding possible equivalent coursework at another university, please email the Program Coordinators. The candidate may be asked to send official transcripts, catalog descriptions, or syllabi to verify equivalency.
Mail signed application and copies of the above documents to:
Coordinator, School Nurse Services Credential Program
1625 E. Shaw, Suite #146
Fresno, CA 93710