Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Department of Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies


CAA (Council on Academic Accreditation)

The Master of Arts (M.A.) education program in speech-language pathology (residential) at California State University, Fresno is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

Council on Academic Accreditation

ASHA (American Speech-Language and Hearing Association)

This national agency issues a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) to speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists who have graduated with a master's degree from an accredited institution and who have completed a 1-year residency called a clinical fellowship year (CFY).To obtain the CCC, individuals must pass the Praxis II Speech-Language Pathology Test.

CCTC (California Commission on Teacher Credentialing)

This commission is the accrediting body of the credential that allows speech-language pathologists to work in the public schools. Students graduating from the Speech-Language Pathology master's program are eligible to apply for this credential.

CED (Council on Education of the Deaf)

For students specializing in education of the Deaf, completion of the master's degree fulfills all the academic and clinical practicum requirements for Provisional Certification by the Council on Education of the Deaf, the national organization responsible for certifying teachers of the Deaf. Professional level certification is available following three years of successful teaching under the supervision of a professionally certified educator of hearing impaired children. All students are encouraged to acquire national certification.

SLPAB (Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Board)

This state-run agency issues California state licenses to speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists who have graduated from an accredited program with a master's degree and completed a 1-year residency called a required professional experience (RPE).