Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Department of Social Work Education

Frequently Asked Questions

Masters of Social Work Program Admission Questions

(Some information is subject to change for every new application process)

Please be mindful that some MSW programs require a minimum of BA field hours for admission. The MSW program at Fresno State DOES NOT have a minimum field hours requirement so it does NOT apply to Fresno State applicants.  

If you have applied to another MSW program, be sure to verify the prospective program’s current requirements, especially for advanced standing programs, as we cannot discuss other program’s requirements. 

NOTE: MSW Application for Fall 2023 opens 10/1/2022 in Cal State Apply

A: You must have a BA/BS from an accredited 4-year institution and a cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA.

A: You do not need a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work to apply for our MSW program. We only require that the BA/BS you have is from an accredited 4-year institution.

A: There are three prerequisites required to apply to our MSW program only if your undergraduate degree was not in Social Work.  Prerequisite coursework must be taken for letter grades (or document that CR means a “C” or better); you must earn a minimum grade of “C” in each course – there are three course prerequisites; 1) Research Methods/Data Analysis, 2) Human Biological Development, and 3) Cultural Diversity (Cultural Diversity must be an upper division course).

A: Yes, you can choose to do the extended four year MSW program.

**The three year program will be phased out starting 2021. Current three year students will complete currently scheduled course progression.

A: The difference will be the sequence in which you take the courses. Click on the link below to see the MSW Sequence of Course Requirements.

MSW Sequence of Course Requirements (catalog years 2017-2019 and NEW catalog year 2020)

**PLEASE NOTE: the part-time 3 year program will be phasing out starting Fall 2021. The full-time (2 year) and part-time (4 year) programs will continue. Current three-year students will complete currently scheduled course progression.

A: We offer a multisystem approach to social work practice. We also offer a two-year Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program. For those interested in the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program, you must submit a separate application for the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program. 

A: YES. University Admissions require that you have your official transcripts sent directly to them. The Department of Social Work Education will accept unofficial transcripts that have been uploaded into the Cal State Apply application (in the appropriate area). If you are already a Fresno State student your official Fresno State transcripts are already on file for admissions, but you still need to upload unofficial transcripts into to the program materials portion of the application.. 

A: Yes. The entire departmental application is through Cal State Apply.

You can find a guide on crafting a personal statement here:

A: If you are transferring from an accredited MSW program, and are accepted into our MSW program, we may accept up to 6 units provided we determine that they are equivalent to our coursework. However, you must submit an application to the university (Cal State Apply). If you are admitted, you can meet with the graduate program coordinator who will determine which prior courses meet the requirements for the Fresno State MSW Program.

A: No, we only accept admission applications during the Fall semester for the following school year.

A: If you want to re-apply to the program, you will need to submit a new application via Cal State Apply

A: Please follow the instruction on the Cal State Apply application.

A: We do not have rolling admission.  We only accept students into our program for the Fall semester, and all completed applications received are evaluated equally. 

A: MSW Info Sessions are held during the Fall semester. It is an informational meeting for prospective applicants, and any student interested in the MSW program is welcome to attend. For virtual session info click here: MSW    Title IV-E   Grad Admissions

MSW info session

**We will be holding in-person Info Sessions on October 21st and December 2nd. Please see the flyer at the bottom of the page. If you are not able to attend,  we have created a virtual info session (click on the yellow note with the pencil below). If you have further questions, please reference the video for the appropriate contact information.

A: Students can apply for a two year stipend program, the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program. For more information on Title IV-E Child Welfare Stipend program please visit the Department of Social Work website or contact the Title IV-E office at 559-278-3076.

A: Yes. For more information, go to

A: Yes. The Title IV-E program is a stipend program that we offer and requires a separate application, in addition to the MSW application, which has a separate application process and due date.  Acceptance to the Title IV-E program is contingent of being accepted into the MSW program.

A: Yes. For more information about applying as an international student, go to

A: The MSW program is a 60-unit program. We offer a two year full-time program or an extended four year program. 

**The three year program will be phased out starting 2021. Current three year students will complete currently scheduled course progression.

A: We typically accept approximately 40% of the applicants whom apply to the MSW program each year with a targeted incoming class size of around 60. This estimate includes the two-year and four-year MSW program on-campus cohorts.

A. For more information, please click on either of these links: Social Work Degree Center or Fresno State Career Center.

MSW & Title IV-E info session

Virtual MSW/Title IV-E Fall 2023
Info Sessions
(click titles to access each video)
MSW        Title IV-E      Graduate Admissions
             MSW and Title IV-E Info Sessions  
 MSW/Title IV-E info sessions October 21 and December 2, 2022. Fresno State campus, room IT 101 (SE corner of Barstow and Campus Drive) from 6 to 7:30 pm. Call 559.278.3992 for information or accommodations.

M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Office staff are not available from 12:00-1:00pm for lunch.

Faculty and staff are also available remotely via email. You can find the faculty/staff directory here.

For More Information Contact:

Department of Social Work office                       Randy Nedegaard, MSW Coordinator
Phone 559-278-3992                                            Phone 559.278.6129
Office: PHS 128                                                      Office: PHS 148