Department of Social Work Education
MSW Title IV-E Child Welfare Program
The MSW Child Welfare (Title IV-E) Program provides funds to full-time and part-time social work students who are preparing for careers directed toward child welfare practice in publicly supported social services.
Full-Time Program – Full-time students are provided with two years of support at $18,500 per year. Students pay mileage, books and tuition out of this amount.
Part-Time Program – Part-time students are provided the cost of tuition, books (up to $650 per semester, and mileage (plus parking allowance, $3,000 per year). Admittance to the part-time program is limited to current employees of CWS, DSS, or CDSS.
Participant requirements at this time are as follows: components involving both academic and field preparation. In addition to the internship in a public child welfare setting, the following is required for all Title IV-E students:
- Attendance and participation at the Title IV-E Seminars, Training Events, and Symposium.
- Completion of a thesis/project relating to child welfare practice.
- Enrollment in SWrk 278 Advanced Child Welfare Course.
- Maintenance of “good standing” in the MSW program (3.0 GPA).
All existing university and MSW Program admissions requirements still apply to all
applicants interested in the Title IV-E Program. Awards are granted by a committee
consisting of faculty, administration and agency representatives from County Child
All program participants must agree to attend the Integrative Seminars and Field Internship, complete a Thesis/Project, have a valid Driver’s License and secured use of a car as required for field internship, and must undergo pre-screening for county internship. Upon graduation, participants will work in a public child welfare agency for a period of two years.
Applications will be accepted October 1, 2022 through March 17, 2023.
- Printable Version of Application for Reference
- Downloaded to assist you with preparing and gathering documents that will need to be uploaded during the application process. Use this as a checklist prior to beginning the application process.
Application Instructions (read carefully): The application needs to be completed and submitted at one time. It cannot be saved to return to later.
- Complete all sections that apply to you.
- There are multiple sections that require applicant to upload documents. Upload the
documents for each section, as you are completing the application.
- To avoid complications and/or incomplete duplicates, submit the application only once.
- For questions or assistance you may email Vincent Latham vincentL@mail.fresnostate.edu, Pearl Fraijo email@example.com, or Cheryl Whittle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attention Mobile Device Users: Please note the size of each file before you attempt to download.
Virtual MSW/Title IV-E 2023 info sessions
(click titles to access each video)